Tackle engineering challenges of the 21st century
At the NSLC engineering summer program, you’ll explore a variety of engineering fields including mechanical, civil, electrical, and biomedical engineering.
- Engineering Design Challenges: Work with a team to design and build robots, wind turbines, water purification systems and more.
- Visit university laboratories: Interact with leading researchers and university professors.
- Explore cutting-edge technologies used in aeronautics, aviation or space station design.
Interactive Career Simulations
At the NSLC on Engineering, you will experience some of the most exciting work that is challenging professional engineers today. During the program, you will design, build, and operate an underwater ROV. Then, you and your team will work together to find the most economical way to build a wind turbine that produces electricity. Each day offers hands-on activities and intriguing problems to solve.
Meet Engineering Professionals
While at the NSLC, you will meet with and learn from leaders in the many engineering disciplines. In past years, those in our summer programs for high school students have heard from special guest speakers including the Dean of the University of Maryland School of Engineering and the Director of the Aeronautics and Space Engineering Board at the National Academies.
- Mr. George Levin, Director of the Aeronautics & Space Engineering Board, The National Academies
- Mr. George Banker, Operations Manager, ARMY Ten-Miler
- Mr. Edgar A. Domenech, Deputy Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- Mr. Bill Nott, Lockheed Martin
At the NSLC, you will enjoy college-level lectures on a variety of engineering disciplines. The lecture series will give you a foundation of knowledge that is vital for your success as an undergraduate student. You will also hear about the wide variety of career opportunities within the engineering fields.
- Chemical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
At the heart of the NSLC is a leadership curriculum designed to build concrete leadership skills that will help you succeed. From the beginning of your youth engineering program you will learn to work as a team during an exciting Ropes Challenge Course. Interactive lectures and small-group workshops will give you an opportunity to build upon your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
Leadership topics tailored to the engineering summer program include:
- Personality Styles and Group Dynamics
- Conflict Resolution
- Negotiation and Effective Presentations