The NSLC high school program on Forensic Science uses an interactive approach to learning that gives you an opportunity to immerse yourself in the challenging complexities of crime scene investigation. You and your team will work together to solve the mystery of a realistic crime scene. In this true-to-life simulation, you will gather evidence, study the clues, analyze the data and, maybe, solve the crime.
While at the NSLC’s high school summer forensic science program, you will meet with and learn from leaders in the fields of forensic science and law enforcement. In past years, NSLC students have heard from special guest speakers including top analysts from agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Agency.
- Commander Edward Reedy, Chief Deputy Medical Examiner, Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner
- Special Agent Robert Fram, Scientific Analysis Section Chief, FBI Laboratory
- Dr. Max Houck, Director, Forensic Science Initiative, West Virginia University
- Dr. Patricia Kauffman, Region III Director, Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team
At the NSLC high school forensic science program, you will enjoy college-level lectures on the basics of forensic science. The lecture series will give you a foundation of knowledge that will be vital to your success not only during the conference but also in your future career as a crime scene investigator. Topics include: Investigative Techniques, Forensic Science and the Law and the Crime Laboratory.
In small groups you will learn the skills of crime scene investigation including:
- DNA Analysis
- Blood Spatter Analysis
- Skeletal Identification
- Footwear and Tire Impressions
At the heart of the NSLC is a leadership curriculum designed to build concrete leadership skills that will help you succeed. From the beginning of your program you will learn to work as a team during an exciting Ropes Challenge Course. Interactive lectures and small-group workshops will give you an opportunity to build upon your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
Leadership topics tailored to the Forensic Science program include:
- Personality Styles and Group Dynamics
- Public Speaking
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress and Time Management
An important part of the NSLC high school forensic science program is seeing the sites around some of our nation’s greatest cities. These trips are designed as both sightseeing tours and exclusive educational trips specifically tailored to the area of Forensic Science. These trips may include:
- Maryland State Forensic Medical Center
- The National Museum of Health and Medicine
- National Museum of Crime & Punishment
- The Smithsonian Institution
- Capitol Hill
- Baltimore Harbor
- Historic D.C. Monuments at Night