The NSLC’s high school summer law program uses an interactive approach to learning that gives you an opportunity to immerse yourself in the challenging complexities of the judicial process. You and your team will prepare and try a case in a real courtroom. You will research the evidence, prepare your witnesses, craft your arguments and ultimately present your case before a judge. Your performance will determine the fate of the accused.
While at the NSLC, you will meet with and learn from leaders in the legal community. In past years, NSLC students have heard from special guest speakers including Supreme Court Justices, Attorneys General and accomplished trial attorneys.
- Justice David Souter, U.S. Supreme Court
- Professor Joe Daly, Professor and drafter of the Vietnam Constitution
- Judge Reggie Walton, US District Judge, District of Columbia District Courts.
- Justice Dennis Eveleigh, Connecticut Supreme Court
- Ms. Valerie P’pool, Special Agent, FBI
- Mr. Ray Miller, Chief of Major Crimes/National Security Unit, New Haven US Attorney’s Office
- Mr. Thomas Ullman, Supervisor, New Haven Public Defender’s Office
- Mr. Mike Lakey, Partner, Mayer Brown LLP
Students attending our Law & Advocacy program at American University have the unique opportunity to spend the day at the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. Student will also have the opportunity to review past cases with attorneys and other law officials at the U.S. District Attorney’s office.
At the NSLC high school summer law program, you will enjoy college-level lectures from practicing attorneys on the fundamentals of trial preparation and courtroom techniques. The lecture series will give you a foundation of knowledge vital for success not only during the conference but also in your future career as a practicing attorney.
- Homicide Laws
- Witness Preparation
- Opening Statements
- Direct Examination
- Evidentiary Procedure and Cross-Examination
At the heart of the NSLC is a leadership curriculum designed to build concrete leadership skills that will help you succeed. From the beginning of your program you will learn to work as a team during an exciting Ropes Challenge Course. Interactive lectures and small-group workshops will give you an opportunity to build upon your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
Leadership topics tailored to the Law & Advocacy program include:
- Personality Styles and Group Dynamics
- Conflict Resolution
- Public Speaking
- Stress & Time Management
An important part of the NSLC’s high school summer law program is seeing the sites around some of our nation’s greatest cities. These trips are designed as both sightseeing tours and exclusive educational trips specifically tailored to the area of Law:
- The Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. Federal Courthouse
- Historic D.C. Monuments at Night
- The Smithsonian Institution
- The Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Baltimore Harbor
New Haven, CT / New York City
- Yale Law School
- Connecticut Supreme Court
- US Attorney’s Office
- Mystic Seaport
- Times Square
- Rockefeller Center