The National Student Leadership Conference on Digital Arts helps middle school students explore the world of mass communication and media arts. Throughout the program students will engage in interactive workshops and leadership development activities to explore animation, game design, graphic design and photography.
Challenge yourself to move beyond your comfort zone and develop your leadership potential
Learn the latest techniques as you work with professional equipment during classes taught by American University School of Communication faculty
Fun & Engaging Trips & Tours
Visit the monuments, museums and institutions that make Washington, D.C. an amazing city
The NSLC provides a unique experience to explore digital arts in university labs.
Students will explore the following areas throughout the program:
- Animation & Stop Motion: Learn the fundamentals of drawing motion, character design, timing and syncing in animation.
- Game Design: Turn your story into a game! Learn to create characters, plan levels and how games are developed.
- Graphic Design: Express yourself through graphic art and digital photo manipulation.
- Photography: Learn how to use your smart phone or digital camera like a professional. Explore the basics of lighting and composing a frame to create exciting and captivating photos.
Fun & Engaging Trips & Tours
An important part of the NSLC middle school programs is seeing the sites around our nation’s capital. These trips are designed as both sightseeing tours and educational trips specifically tailored to the area of Media Arts.
Students are escorted on all field trips and stay within their TA Group or other supervised groups. During the Media Arts programs, students may attend different trips tailored to their track.
- Video Game Design Wizards
- National Geographic
- Animation Studio
- The Smithsonian Institute
- Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR and MLK Monuments
At the heart of the NSLC is a leadership curriculum designed to build concrete leadership skills that will help you succeed. From the beginning of your program you will learn to work as a team during an exciting Ropes Challenge Course. Interactive lectures and small-group workshops will give you an opportunity to build upon your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
Leadership topics tailored to the Journalism & Mass Communication program include:
- Personality Styles and Group Dynamics
- Public Speaking
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress and Time Management
Your NSLC tuition is all-inclusive. Your tuition covers course materials, housing, on-campus meals, social events and transportation throughout your program.
We offer a comprehensive scholarship program to assist qualified students with the cost of NSLC tuition, based on financial need, academic merit and extracurriculars.
Fundraising is a great way to raise funds to contribute toward your NSLC program tuition while also forging relationships with leaders in your community.