The NSLC understands that family circumstances may not enable all qualified students to attend a program without financial assistance. Therefore, this year we will once again make available substantial funding through the National Student Leadership Foundation (NSLF) Scholarship Program.
The NSLF attempts to assist as many students as possible, therefore the majority of scholarships, which are based on financial need, academic merit and school/community involvement, are granted in the range of $250-$750. A select few will receive the maximum scholarship awarded of the tuition minus the deposit.
While the scholarship committee takes into consideration extenuating circumstances such as; recent job loss, illness and injury the average scholarship recipient has demonstrated financial hardship and/or is a low income family, has an excellent academic record and is highly involved in their school and community.
To be considered for a scholarship, a student must be enrolled in the NSLC and have submitted a $350 tuition deposit.
Note: If a student is denied a scholarship, or if the scholarship award is insufficient, your deposit will be refunded upon cancellation.
NSLC Summer Program Scholarship Details
Application Requirements: Students who would like to prepare materials in advance please have the following items ready to complete your NSLF Scholarship Application. All items must be submitted via the online scholarship application.
- Your NSLC ID, you received this after submitting your NSLC Enrollment Application.
- Digital copy of your most recent academic transcript. This transcript may be “unofficial” or a scanned copy.
- One Teacher/Counselor willing to write and submit a letter of recommendation by Friday, March 15, 2019. Educators will receive submission instructions via email. (This is not the same recommendation as the enrollment application Grade Verification Form)
- List of extracurricular and community activities with accurate Club/Activity Sponsor contact information.
- Responses to the following questions. Each essay should be 250-500 words.
- Discuss how attending the National Student Leadership Conference will enhance your academic potential and increase your participation as a leader in your school/community.
- Please write a letter of explanation of your current financial situation. (May be completed by a Parent/Guardian)
Note: After completing the first step of the scholarship application, your payment dates will be automatically moved until after the award notifications are sent out in April. You will only pay the deposit before you know if you have received a scholarship.
- High School Programs: Summer 2019 Scholarship Application is now closed. The deadline was March 15, 2019.
- Middle School Programs: All components of the Scholarship Application must be completed and uploaded no later than 11:59PM CST on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Scholarship Notification: Scholarship award notifications will be emailed to applicants the evening of Friday, April 12, 2019.
|High School Application Deadline||CLOSED (March 15, 2019)|
|Middle School Application Deadline||11:59 PM CST April 3, 2019|
|Scholarship Evaluation||March 16 – April 11, 2019|
|Scholarship Notification||8:00PM CST, April 12, 2019|
Note: Due to the large volume of scholarship applicants combined with limited funding, successful applicants for scholarships will demonstrate significant financial need, academic excellence and extensive community and extracurricular involvement. The NSLF will consider special circumstances, including but not limited to the number of children in the household or being supported in college, a recent illness or death in the immediate family or a recent loss of employment in the immediate family. The maximum NSLF Scholarship award will not exceed the cost of tuition less the deposit; however, the vast majority of scholarships awarded will be $250-750.
For questions about our high school scholarships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about our middle school scholarships, please email email@example.com.
For the NSLC Alumni College Scholarship application, please click here.
For students raising money to help pay for an NSLC program this summer…
While the National Student Leadership Foundation would like to meet the financial needs of all students, the large volume of scholarship applicants combined with limited funding, means that not all applicants will receive scholarships. The Foundation has created a comprehensive Guide to Community Fundraising which has helped make the NSLC an affordable experience for all applicants. This guide contains suggestions that have been used successfully by past NSLC students to raise funds while also forging relationships with leaders in their community. In several cases, students have been able to raise funds covering the full cost of their program and travel expenses.
Students who would like additional assistance in their fundraising efforts are encouraged to contact the NSLC Enrollment Office to speak with one of our Fundraising Counselors at 1-800-994-NSLC (6752). Students may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.